GAMES DEVELOPMENT / INDIVIDUAL TASKS

CHIAH CAI JUN 0365352

Bachelor of Interactive Spatial Design / Taylor's University

Games Development / Sept 2025

Week 01 - Week 03

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXERCISE 01: GAME PITCH IDEATION

Instructions
In this exercise, we are required to individually come out with a game idea (or many ideas) and make our first game pitch. There isn't a specific format currently, so our lecturer, Ron, asked us to find the most creative and effective way to convey our game ideas. I decided to compile my concept idea and game details in Canva for easy visualisation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXERCISE 02: INDIVIDUAL ASSET CREATION

Instructions
In this exercise, we are required to make some of our 3D game assets based on the previous game idea proposed. We need to model at least our main game character and an environment object in Blender, then import them into Godot. 

Research Stage
After coming up with my Bubble Rush game idea, I listed out some main game assets and characters that will be included in my game, which are:
  • Dolphin (Protagonist)
  • Devil Creatures (Enemies)
  • Pearl & Shell (Treasure)
  • Cliff (Platforms)
  • Cave (Exit)
  • Wrecked Ship, Corals, Fish Net (Environment)
From the listed game assets, I decided to build the model of the dolphin and pearl in shell, as I think they are the most important elements in my game. Then, I did my research on their structure and found images on Pinterest as inspiration to ensure my models look logical.

Figure 1 Dolphin's structure
Figure 2 Dolphin graphics from different angles
Figure 3 Structure of Pearl situated in a Seashell

Next, I also referred to some YouTube tutorials on how to build the models in Blender. This helps me to gain a better understanding of how others build the model structure from basic forms and make the characters look alive. I started my exploration to make the dolphin part. As the primary theme of my game is adorable, I want to construct my dolphin character with a fat appearance, which is slightly different from the actual dolphin: a Big head, a short body, three short fins, and a pair of large eyes.

Exploration Stage (Dolphin)
I started to build my dolphin character by using a subdivided cube. By extruding the surfaces and scaling them smaller, it shows a droplet-like form, with the bigger surface being the head, and the smaller surfaces will be the mouth and tail.

Figure 4.1 Exploring the body form of dolphin (droplet form)

After reducing the end part size of the dolphin's body (which will be connected to the tail), I picked the side surfaces and extruded them along normal. It begins with a round shell-like shape, then I pulled the edges inward to produce the fish tail. I also adjusted the width of the dolphin's body and slightly minimised the head size so it won't look too heavy and fat.

Figure 4.2 Modeling the dolphin tail
Figure 4.3 Adjusting the width to make the overall form look smooth

Next, I did a similar extruding method to build the dorsal fin (unpaired fin on the back) and pectoral fins (paired fins situated on two sides). To ensure that the fins are in their correct position, I loop cut the model by adding more lines, then just chose the necessary surfaces to extrude and rescale. Of course, not to forget the eyes and blowhole of the dolphin and the dolphin model is done!

Figure 4.4 Modeling fins
Figure 4.5 Adding big eyes & blowhole

Here are the images of my dolphin from different angles:
Figure 4.6 My Dolphin Model


Exploration Stage (Pearl & Shell)
Before starting to build the shell, I referred to a YouTube tutorial (although I made minor changes to it, as I didn't follow every step exactly). From my first impression after watching the video, I think the curvy parts of the shell will be the hardest part, as the uneven surfaces require more adjustments (let's see whether it's really hard or not!)

Figure 5.1 The YouTube tutorial I'm referring to

Something different from dolphin modelling, I started the process by adding a plane to the workspace while adding loop cuts, which create lines for the shell. Then, I add a new cylinder and set the edges into 11 sides, then make the two forms overlap while using the Boolean tool to get the common shape. I selected and moved some of the vertices so that they create an uneven surface which simulates the texture of the shell (after trying out, it's not as hard as imagined.

Figure 5.2 Modeling one side of the shell (Adjusting vertices)
Figure 5.3 Continuous progress of adjusting the shell vertices (to ensure that the pearl can fit in)

After adjusting the curving surfaces, I chose the vertices at the bottom and stretched them so that a connection between an enclosed shell could be made later. I duplicated the shell and rotated it while also adjusting the angles to make the shell slightly slanted. The structure of the shell was done! Adding a pearl is an easy job as I just needed to add a sphere and place it in the middle.

Figure 5.4 Extend the supporting connection of two shells
Figure 5.5 Duplicate and rotate the bottom shell
Figure 5.6 Adding a sphere as pearl

Here are the images of my pearl and shell from different angles:
Figure 5.7 My Pearl & Shell Model

Rendering Stage
After finishing up the modelling stage, I proceeded to render the models that I built. For the dolphin model, I painted the skin blue while making the belly white. Applying two colours to it makes the model look more visually appealing. Real dolphins typically have a blue-grey upper body and a lighter underside; therefore using blue and white makes the dolphin instantly recognisable to players.

Figure 6.1 Trying on colours for dolphin's skin and belly
Figure 6.2 Add black for the dolphin's eye and white as highlights
Figure 6.3 Final Rendered Image (Dolphin)

As for the shell part, I decided to use neutral colours as the main colour scheme. To increase the shininess of the pearl and shell, I increased the metallic rate and reduced the roughness, so both of their appearance looked smooth and glossy. 

Figure 7.1 Trying on colours for pearl and shell
Figure 7.2 Final Rendered Image (Pearl & Shell)

Import To Godot
After modelling and rendering the models, I imported them into Godot. Waiting for the next step to do! Since it was my first time using Godot, I'm not familiar with this software yet. The light settings seem to be different from Blender, making some shaded parts look dark. So, I wish to know how to adjust the lighting in future classes!

Figure 8 Imported Blender model into Godot


Comments