Spatial Design II / Bachelor of Interactive Spatial Design
Chiah Cai Jun / 0365352
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROJECT 03: FINALISED RETAIL DESIGN
FINAL PROJECT BRIEF
In this assignment, we are required to make a 3D retail model based on previous improvements and the design process in Blender. Before starting to build the interior of the retail, we are required to build our installation model, which has been drafted in assignment 02.
Building Phase
When I'm making my installation, I found that it's quite difficult to build the flipping cards on the circular rings themselves. Therefore, I decided to make slight changes to my installation design by moving the flipping card engagement from placing it horizontally to vertically. This allows users to flip and view the information easily. Next, I'm using Bai Jia Bei as my main theme, so the materials I used the most are fabrics with patterns related to patchwork quilts.
Interior Space Planning
Before building the actual interior models, we are required to plan the user journey by organising the needed spaces that we have planned in the previous assignments. A bubble diagram is a helpful way that allows us to visualise the space to ensure smooth movement while travelling between different zones. Here's the evolution of how my space placement changes after consulting with my lecturer:
After deciding how the retail journey goes, I start to research the characteristics of Coach retail around the world to get inspiration on how Coach did their branding through materials, lighting, colour scheme and furniture. I also took some pictures during my visit to Coach's retail in Premium Outlet, Genting to gain some ideas too. Throughout the research process, I found that Coach most likely uses the black colour as the foreground, while white, beige and grey are the supporting colours. Glass, metal and wood are the main materials that were used in Coach retail, so I decided to retain these textures in my retail design to carry out Coach's brand identity.
Space Highlights
A. Entrance
Visitors are welcomed by the Coach's signage, with wood as the background to emphasise the glowing effect of the signage. I designed a slope at the entrance so visitors with disabilities are able to visit the Coach retail as well. Besides, I also designed two display windows on the left and right, where the left window displays the signature products of Coach, while the right window showcases the Artisan studio, to let natural light to enter the retail while attracting visitors to be curious of what the artist is doing in the particular space.
B. Archival Room
The archival room is dark in colour, with spotlights that highlight the history of Coach. Visitors are allowed to touch the texture of the materials used to make Coach products while understanding the background of the brand. Then, they will need to pass through a short tunnel to reach the main space of the retail, which allows them to choose which direction to go.
YouTube Presentation Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpI39mFF9WE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpI39mFF9WE
Presentation Board:
Comments
Post a Comment