EMBEDDED SYSTEMS / PROJECT 02


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROJECT 02: EMBEDDED SYSTEM DESIGN PROCESS FOR INTERACTIVE SPACE DEVICE

WEEK 04 - Research Stage

In week 04, Mr Nedu released the second assignment brief, which required us to develop a detailed plan and conceptual design for the embedded system product that we aimed to create as a prototype within the provided 3D-printed space. This allowed us to undergo the design process of creating an embedded system architecture while identifying embedded system requirements by selecting appropriate hardware components. 

Figure 1 Project 02 Brief

As we planned initially, the space will release scent when the visitors put their hands on the touch board. Therefore, we decided to use TTP223 Capacitive Touch Sensor, Ultrasonic Mist Maker and Raspberry Pi Zero 2 as the main hardware components in our project. Without further delay, we distributed the tasks among the 3 of us to research based on the 5 important stages in the design process, which were requirements, specifications, architecture, components and system integration.

To provide us with a better understanding of how a simple embedded system functions, he taught us to install the Raspberry Pi Desktop on our devices while guiding us on how to use the given Raspberry Pi Zero 2 to light up an LED by triggering touch sensors on the breadboard. Installing the Raspberry Pi Desktop was necessary as we could programme our Raspberry Pi Zero chip to give commands for functioning. I used to explore Arduino in my high school, so I have a basic knowledge of how to connect the components. Through this small class activity, I could refresh my previous knowledge on building simple embedded systems.
Figure 2 Class Activity

WEEK 05 - Refining Research Findings

As I was in charge of researching architecture design and the components needed for our project, I studied the slides and examples provided by Mr Nedu to ensure the final outcomes were on the right track. My findings were as follows (sample codes was attached in the slides below):
  • Hardware Components
    • TTP223 Capacitive Touch Sensor (input)
      • Connected to GPIO pins to send signals
    • Raspberry Pi Zero (main controller)
      • GPIO pins as communication between the touch sensor and the ultrasonic mist maker
    • Power Supply (provided power to activate the embedded system)
    • Ultrasonic Mist Maker (output)
      • Connected to GPIO pins to receive commands and send signals
  • Software components
    • Raspberry Pi OS
    • Touch Detection (input signals from touch sensors trigger the action in the Python script)
    • Python Programming (control ultrasonic mist maker activation once input signals detected)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact, we used natural elements for designing our slides so they could show a continuous relation from project 01 to the current project. In my opinion, I think it was challenging for me to figure out a Python code that was compatible with our project, as I didn't have any coding knowledge before. Due to this, I seek assistance from Mr Nedu and ChatGPT while searching for similar tutorials on YouTube and Google. From there, I could learn some simple languages of Python as I tried to combine and type similar codes while trying out the different possibilities of forming a workable sample code.

Figure 2 The Immersive Fragrance Showcase; Conceptual Design Process

Comments