SPATIAL DESIGN I / PROJECT 02


Week 06 to Week 07
In week 06, Mr. Zeon released the second project's brief, which required us to choose any space on campus and redesign to further enhance its user experience. Besides, we also needed to conduct site analysis and user research to understand the pros and cons of the space while knowing what are the users' needs. 

To start off, I walked around the campus to find an ideal spot for me to redesign it. I decided to choose the fountain waiting zone near the Taylor's roundabout as I use that space quite frequently, I realised that it's very empty with just a bench being set to let students sit.

Week 08
I drafted survey and interview questions while showing them to Mr. Zeon. Then, I edited the survey forms and distributed them to Taylor's students who used the fountain waiting zone frequently in order to receive their insights and suggestions for improvements. Collecting accurate data from the correct targeted audiences was very important as it might affect the final result obtained for further analysis. 

Figure 1.1 Project 02 Interview Questions
Figure 1.2 Project 02 Survey Questions

Google Form Respondent Link https://forms.gle/xv9W9JtDFK55jWJFA

Week 09
Once I've gotten the data collected from Taylor's students, I started to analyse each question to understand what users thought about the chosen site while taking down some notes on what the users wished to have in the space to enhance their user experience. I noticed that most of the respondents hoped to turn the space into a resting and study space as Taylor's is currently too packed with students and they can't find a comfortable space to do their studies. Therefore, I decided to design an ergonomic seating area that allows students to stay connected by having special gathering spots for collaboration and personal zones for resting or self-study.

Besides, Mr. Zeon briefed us on user persona and journey map while showing us some examples to make us understand easily. He mentioned that getting to thinking of how to attract users to return to the space can't be ignored because we are encouraged to design spaces that provide long-term benefits. 

Week 10
In the submission week, we needed to show our progress to Mr. Zeon for final review. Mr. Zeon commented that the interactive elements in my space were not attractive enough as they seemed to be too common. By allowing users to engage with some installations and utilise the space to design extra elements that serve various needs, my space will look special as it might make current or new users become returning customers to try out the space the next time.

Project 02 Showcase

Comments