APPLICATION DESIGN I / PROJECT 01


Week 01
In week 01, Mr. Zeon introduced us to the fundamentals of application design and the first task brief.
   
Figure 1 Week 1 Notes

We were required to find weaknesses in 3 applications that needed to be improved on their UI (User Interface) design and UX (User Experience). To make our task easy, he gave us a tip to search for applications that had a lower rate in the App Store. After further research on the comments and ratings, while getting multiple tryouts with the downloaded apps, I decided to analyse TK Bakery, Moonlight Cake House and the Innisfree mobile app. 


Project 01 Part A Showcase

Week 02 
In week 02, we showed our progress to Mr. Zeon while he introduced the second part of the assignment, which required us to pick one out of the three chosen applications to further research their weaknesses, strengths, user research data, application redesign strategy, etc while using all the data and information collected to make a mobile application proposal. 

 
Figure 2 Week 02 Notes

I wanted to choose TK Bakery app initially because I used the app to buy a birthday cake for my mum. However, the add to cart and search bar were not working, so I had to make a phone call to order the cake, which was not convenient enough. As soon as I wanted to dive into the specific research process, I realised that they had updated their app a few days ago, and all the bugs that I mentioned were fixed. 

Without further delay, I quickly researched on Moonlight Cake House app. Although I was not an app user of them before, I was their returning customer who bought their pastries a few times a month. It's my first time knowing this app, so I was willing to give it a try. 

Week 03 to Week 04
When we were working on the mobile application proposal, Mr. Zeon briefed us on competitive analysis, user demographics, goals and objectives. 

 
Figure 3 Week 03 Notes

He suggested us to make a table to compare the chosen application with their competitors to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each app. I compared the Moonlight Cake House app with Zus Coffee, Kenangan Coffee and Baskin Robbins as the overall ratings from users were high. I used these companies in my research project as I believed that the elements that they used in their applications would help me enhance the user experience of the Moonlight Cake House app.

For user demographics, I can't find any user data for the Moonlight Cake House app as the downloads and user activity were not active enough. Therefore, I researched Secret Recipe and collected their data to be used in my project. Moonlight Cake House and Secret Recipe are competitors that sell cakes, so the target audience will be similar.

Project 01 Part B Showcase


Comments